Below are a series of questions which are worth considering if you intend to work as a director, set, lighting or sound designer. (With thanks to Jeannie Haughton of the Gippsland Regional Arts Fund.)
What would your answers be?
- Anyone can build a set or move furniture? Why should I pay for/use a designer?
- How important is the script? The Director’s vision? Your own vision? Which is the most important?
- How do you know what will work and what won’t?
- Do you consider lighting first or last? Where does sound fit in?
- What is the best set you’ve ever seen? Why?
- Is there a difference in the way you design for a new script and one that has been produced before
- Your own process of coming to a design...
- Do you consider the economic budget and the capacity (human & energy levels) of the company or do put that away and focus on the creative vision and artistic processes that are required?
- How important is communication?